Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sparkle!





Recently I've developed a very scientific theory, chock full of equations and Greek letters in superscript. You'll need at least a T1-83 graphing calculator and a sample of hide from a virgin goat in order to understand it.

Of course I'm only kidding. The Sparkle Theory is completely math free, think other end of the spectrum. The Sparkle Theory is all about feelings.

Think of the people in your life who:
  • when you talk to them you feel like the only person in the room.
  • understand what you mean without you having to explain, but
  • will let you go on and on when you need to.
  • you look forward to seeing.
  • are genuinely happy for you when good things happen.
  • authentically grieve for you when trials come.
  • get your humor.
  • look you in the eye.
  • time seems to infinitely speed up when you're together.
  • you can go without speaking for any amount of time and instantly pick right back up where you left off the relationship.
  • you can let down your guard with.
  • make you feel energized when you spend time together.
  • would dominate the game Taboo if you were partnered on a team.
  • can compliment you and it actually soaks in.
These are the people in your life that make you Sparkle. It's effortless on both ends of the relationship, and chances are you make them Sparkle too. Sparkle can come from a lifelong friendship or in an instant after meeting - I've experienced both. You carry your own Sparkle inside and these people ignite it. There are many other ways to describe Sparkle, I'd love for you to comment below with your own version of Sparkle.

HOWEVER

There are also people in this world who *dum dum dum* steal your Sparkle. They usually don't mean to. I honestly believe these Sparkle thieves are generally well-intentioned. But let's just face it, when I say 'people who steal your Sparkle' you automatically think of some of your own Sparkle thieves, don't you? Their Sparkle sucking is just as effortless as the aforementioned Sparkle igniters. We can't blame them. We can't even avoid them. It's not anyone's fault. You probably do a little Sparkle sucking too. But when you begin to think about life in a Sparkle sense, it helps you to find a balance. If you go too long without spending time with someone who makes you Sparkle you can find yourself in a funk. A rotten Sparkle-less funk.


I brought up my Sparkle Theory recently at our church's Ladies Bible Study and it led to some fascinating conversation. It was mentioned that we are, after all, in control our own Sparkle, (yes, I had extremely educated, refined, elegant women speaking Sparklese). I completely agree. We are the masters of our own Sparkle, but we've got to find a place to hide it that no one will think to look...

I'm still working on that last part. I think that one way to secure your Sparkle is to do things that make you feel Sparkly. I love to write. I have a few outlets for my writing, this blog and this blog and even this long lost blog (hey Sarah, it's still your turn). I've entered a few essay contests. But I feel like I need a place to write that's all my own. A place that doesn't have a prompt or theme. A blinking cursor waiting for whatever happens across my mind. I'd love to invite you to read along. Writers just love an audience. You might say it makes them Sparkle.

4 comments:

  1. I like it- and your background is perfect! Can't wait to read your musings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me! I don't know how you do it all in one day... 3 blogs, teaching your brilliant daughter, making wonderful treats and thinking to bring them to the church, make it to the Farmer's Market, and cooking all the wonderful things you do! Your family is very lucky to have you and I LOVE your sparkle theory!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I were just talking about your writing skillz (hehe) an hour ago. Your blog comments make her laugh a lot. Something about you being witty or something ;)

    Your sparkle-inducing-love-of-my-life brother and I need to call you to see if that one weekend in November will still work for us to visit.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my sparkle ignitor. I am careful after our last visit about sparling, to try to be an ignitor to those around me. Thank you for helping me to look at things differently and for always lifting me up. Love you my sparkling friend.

    ReplyDelete